Woman dies from snake bite hours after marrying her pastor in Delta
44-year-old founder of the Miracle Working God Ministry in Sapele, Delta State, Prophet Patrick Eyaefe, has recounted how his wife died from snake bite hours after their wedding on March 29th.
Prophet Eyaefe in an interview with newsmen, said himself and his deceased wife had lived together for eight years and had five children and that he decided to formalise their union this year.
He said on March 30th, she went out of their home to go and get sachet water when a snake bit her. He accused the hospital he rushed her to after the bite of negligence which according to him, led to the death of his wife.
“We had been together for eight years, you know as a man of God I was supposed to regularise my marriage, so after eight years and with a growing ministry and five kids, I decided to do the right thing. Now see what has happened after the marriage.
We were relaxing at home after the marriage at about 7 pm on Sunday, March 30, 2019, when she went to buy sachet water and she had hardly left for five minutes when I heard her screaming for help. I dashed down and she told me that a snake just bit her, I took her to the hospital that night and I tied the leg as someone instructed me. When we got to the hospital, after paying N1,000 to register, the doctor was not around.
The nurse who was on duty had to call the doctor before he came and when he eventually arrived, they were looking at her as if her life was not important. The drugs he (the doctor) prescribed for me I went to buy it and when I came back, he insisted I should go back and get the dosage of the drug, and my wife was lying there without being attended to.
When I returned, they tightened the rope I use in tying the leg so that the venom will not spread and right thereafter administering the anti-venom drug, she still died. My wife died on the day I took her to the altar. They left her for too long without attending to her. It was a case of neglect. If they had acted quickly she would not have died. She died leaving five kids for me. How do I go on?”
Reacting to his claim, the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Dr John Akwara, denied the allegation, stating that the doctor on duty did everything possible to save the deceased.
“Snake venoms kill within minutes, the doctor who treated her is a certified medical doctor with over 10 years in service. Snakebite is a snake bite anywhere, five minutes you are gone. We even gave her oxygen, which goes to show how far the damage has been done. Once venom has reached the heart, there is nothing anybody can do about it.” he said
This scholarship is intended for young leaders focused on improving the education, skills, and access to opportunity for people in their communities, countries, or world at large. The scholarship is seeking candidates who have demonstrated commitment to:
- Improving access to education, skills, or employment opportunities for those that may be left behind by the rapidly changing global economy. For example, to women and girls, disadvantaged youth.
- Creating skills development or lifelong learning opportunities for people to prepare for the future workforce, including in areas where there are talent shortages.
- Accelerating entrepreneurship, new types of employment, or providing opportunities for people to overcome traditional barriers to employment.
Deloitte is committed to preparing 50 million people to succeed in a rapidly changing global economy by 2030. They are applying their core skills, experience, and global reach to make an impact through education, skills development, and access to opportunity, in line with SDGs 4 – Quality Education and 8 – Decent Work & Economic Growth. As a longstanding partner of One Young World, they are proud to support the Deloitte One Young World Scholarship 2019, which will enable 10 outstanding young leaders to attend the One Young World Summit in London, United Kingdom on 22 – 25 October 2019.
Deloitte One Young World Scholarship Program Eligibility.
Candidates must be:
- Aged 18 – 30
- Nationals of all countries will be eligible to apply for this scholarship
Deloitte One Young World Scholarship Program Benefits.
- Access to the One Young World Summit 2019 in London, United Kingdom
- The cost of travel to and from London (economy flights only)
- Hotel accommodation in a single room from 21-25 October inclusive
- Catering which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner, during these days
- Transport between the Summit accommodation and the Summit venue
- Summit hand-outs and support materials
- Participation in Deloitte-hosted sessions for their delegation in the lead-up to and during the Summit, and a Deloitte “buddy”
Deloitte One Young World Scholarship Program Selection Criteria.
- Evidenced commitment to delivering positive change
- Demonstrated capacity for leadership
- Understanding of key local and/or global issues
- Track record of generating impactful and innovative solutions to address education and skills challenges
How to Apply for Deloitte One Young World Scholarship Program.
Interested candidates who meet the criteria listed above should apply by clicking on the “Apply” button below: